Stratolaunch is a technology accelerator that engineers operationally realistic testing at Mach 5+. Our air-launched, Talon testbeds are reusable, cost-effective platforms that enable routine access to the hypersonic environment. We deliver flight data critical to validating system performance and achieving rapid technology deployment. Together with our customers, we drive innovations that are imperative to advancing national security.
As a Software Engineering Intern for Summer 2024 you will be a member of the Engineering team, working in the Stratolaunch Engineering department. You will contribute to the design, analysis, build, integration, and/or test of Stratolaunch hypersonic vehicle launch systems
For this role, Stratolaunch is seeking 1 engineers with a background in Software, Aerospace, and/or Electrical Engineering. This is a 10–12-week internship over summer of 2024, based in Mojave, CA. Please apply by Friday November 3, 2023. Applicants selected for the interview phase will be contacted by Friday November 17, 2023.
Instructions for application:
In addition to your resume, it is strongly encouraged to provide a short presentation, paper, or summary of project you have worked on. Please be specific about your individual contribution to the project. We are looking for people who are passionate about aerospace and aviation. In your presentation, paper, or summary please also include why you wanted to work on the project and why it excites you. Any applications without this project document will not be considered.
- Pursuing Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in software engineering, or aerospace or electrical engineering with a focus or minor in software engineering
- Support development and test of new flight software in support of advanced rocket-powered air-launch vehicle systems
- Support development and execution of automated software test processes to verify and validate embedded software
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity, and fulfillment of commitments
- Exceptional command of engineering fundamentals
- Microcontroller programming in C/C++ course
- Real world experience writing embedded software
- Digital logic design course
- Familiar with real world interfaces such as RS232, RS422, SPI, I2C
- Ability to work on their own initiative and prioritize tasking to fit within the business goals
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to ask questions
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Experience in Real-Time embedded software development
- Experience with Matlab or Simulink development tools
- Experience with Python programming language
- Experienced with source control tools such as git or svn
- Basic background in Control systems theory
- Hands-on engineering experience through internships, school projects, teams, or hobbies
- Pilot’s license or General Aviation flight experience
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Sophomore, Junior, or Senior going to Graduate School working on a software, aerospace, or electrical engineering degree
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
- This position is located in Mojave, CA
Benefits and our location:
- Relocation eligible to local area – Mojave, CA
- 9/80 schedule
- Living accommodations
Mojave Air & Spaceport is located 95 miles north of Los Angeles. To outsiders it may seem like it is the middle-of-nowhere, but it offers both affordability and central access to a variety of California’s best attractions and landmarks. Hikers will find themselves within a 2-3 hours distance of some of the best state and national parks, including Yosemite and Sequoia in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Mountain bikers will delight in being closely distanced to world-class resorts at Mammoth Mountain, Mountain High, and Big Bear. Beachgoers can find plenty of sand, sun, and sunsets at both Southern and Central California beaches like Ventura, Huntington, Santa Monica, and Pismo. The area also offers plenty of rural area for off-roading and horseback riding enthusiasts. Aviation enthusiasts will enjoy relatively open skies and beautiful terrain to view.
Not much for the outdoors and prefer the city life? You’re within a half day’s drive or less of Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and San Francisco where you can find a variety of live entertainment, museums, tours, and historical sight-seeing. Theme parks are in abundance, with Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland, and Knotts Berry Farm ready to meet the needs of rollercoaster thrill seekers.
Food and drink fanatics are in a haven of delectable choices. Wine aficionados will also find easy access to some of the state’s best vino in Paso Robles, Santa Ynez, and even more locally in Tehachapi and Agua Dulce. Beer fanatics will find some of the best West Coast IPAs at Bravery and Lucky Luke’s in Lancaster. Any food option you crave is covered, and we always recommend the authentic and fresh Mexican food that you won’t find anywhere else in the United States.