Stratolaunch is a technology accelerator that engineers operationally realistic testing at Mach 5+. Our air-launched, Talon testbeds are reusable, cost-effective platforms that enable routine access to the hypersonic environment. We deliver flight data critical to validating system performance and achieving rapid technology deployment. Together with our customers, we drive innovations that are imperative to advancing national security.
To help achieve these efforts, Stratolaunch is seeking a Level II or Sr-Level Avionics Engineer to support and own design, integration, testing, and maintenance of the Roc Carrier Aircraft. The Roc avionics system is critical to mission success and interfaces with every subsystem; therefore, this position will include collaborating with other system owners to understand requirements and engineer solutions. You must be comfortable receiving direction and guidance from the Roc Chief engineer and lead avionics engineer. You will be responsible for component/system development, system analysis, designing for manufacturing, hardware integration, and system-level testing, and taking ownership of your systems. As a Roc Carrier Aircraft Avionics Engineer, you will be a crucial member of a small design team.
- Architect, design, analyze, integrate, and test avionics and electrical systems
- Create new wiring diagrams and revise existing wiring diagrams to resolve issues and integrate new components
- Troubleshoot and debug existing avionics and electrical systems on the Roc carrier aircraft
- Maintain configuration control over major avionics system elements including wiring diagrams, work orders, etc.
- Coordinate with other subsystem leads and flight crew to develop requirements, test plans, and procedures
- Coordinate with engineers across a broad spectrum of disciplines to understand requirements and engineer technical solutions
- Create presentations and support design reviews
- Support ground and/or flight test, as required
- Evaluate risks and risk mitigation plans to determine if the risks and mitigations are appropriate
- Regular and comprehensive communication to the Roc Chief Engineer and Avionics Lead on a weekly and monthly basis
- Contribute to the integration of complex aerospace systems
- Travel, as needed, to support the department and customer meetings
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity, and fulfillment of commitments
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- Knowledge of and experience with one or more of these disciplines: electrical engineering, avionics, electronics, software development, circuit design experience
- Experience creating wiring diagrams and/or circuit schematics
- Experience with electrical design and analysis such as power budgets, relay logic, and high voltage
- Experience with Ethernet data buses and associated concepts
- Excellent written communication and documentation skills
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities
- Ability to work on their own initiative and prioritize tasking to fit within the business goals
- U.S. Person status
- Experience with component-level or subsystem level test planning and execution
- Experience with data acquisition and instrumentation (thermocouples, accelerometers, strain)
- Knowledge of environmental testing (vibration, thermal, shock)
- Aircraft and/or launch vehicle development experience
Required Computer Skills:
- Experience with C/C++, Python, XML
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
Preferred Computer Skills:
- Familiarity with configuration management systems – Jira (preferred)
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Level II ($85,000-$123,000): Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 2-5 years of engineering experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- Sr Level ($104,000-$155,000): Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 5-10 years of engineering experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
- Position based in Mojave, CA.
- Travel estimated to be <5%
Benefits and our location:
- Relocation eligible to local area – Mojave, CA
- 9/80 schedule
- Healthcare (medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs)
- Paid Maternity and Parental Leave
- 50% company match per contributed dollar into 401(k) savings plan up to the IRS annual limit
- Tuition reimbursement
Mojave Air & Spaceport is located 95 miles north of Los Angeles. To outsiders it may seem like it is the middle-of-nowhere, but it offers both affordability and central access to a variety of California’s best attractions and landmarks. Hikers will find themselves within a 2-3 hours distance of some of the best state and national parks, including Yosemite and Sequoia in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Skiers will delight in being closely distanced to world-class resorts at Mammoth Mountain, Mountain High, and Big Bear. Beachgoers can find plenty of sand, sun, and sunsets at both Southern and Central California beaches like Ventura, Huntington, Santa Monica, and Pismo. The area also offers plenty of rural area for off-roading and horseback riding enthusiasts.
Not much for the outdoors and prefer the city life? You’re within a half day’s drive or less of Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and San Francisco where you can find a variety of live entertainment, museums, tours, and historical sight-seeing. Theme parks are in abundance, with Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland, and Knotts Berry Farm ready to meet the needs of rollercoaster thrill seekers.
Food and drink fanatics are in a haven of delectable choices. Wine aficionados will also find easy access to some of the state’s best vino in Paso Robles, Santa Ynez, and even more locally in Tehachapi and Agua Dulce. Beer fanatics will find some of the best West Coast IPAs at Bravery and Lucky Luke’s in Lancaster. Any food option you crave is covered, and we always recommend the authentic and fresh Mexican food that you won’t find anywhere else in the United States.