Astranis is connecting the four billion people in the world who do not currently have access to the internet. We are building the next generation of smaller, lower-cost spacecraft to bring the world online.
We have a world-class team that is passionate about building amazing technology. And we have a fun and collaborative work environment where you will learn a lot and make a huge impact no matter where you are in your career.
Our team is growing fast. Apply now!
The Harness Manufacturing Engineer is responsible for the assembly, test, and integration of wire harnesses for both flight spacecraft and developmental use. This includes working with design engineering teams to execute a rigorous design process that will ensure smooth and high-quality harness builds. You will work directly with contract manufacturers and an internal production team to build harnesses to the highest possible quality standard, including ownership of all processes and tooling used on the factory floor. Finally, you’ll support integration planning and operations including on-vehicle routing, installation, and connections.
The ideal candidate has a breadth of experience across both design and build of aerospace harnesses, extensive experience standing up and maintaining production processes with an emphasis on quality, and high attention to detail. If high levels of ownership, building harnesses that will go to space, and helping to change the world sounds like a fun challenge – this might be the role for you.
- Work with design engineering teams to design harnesses for manufacturing and quality, including reviewing harness design schematics, drawings, and bills of materials (BOMs).
- Develop and qualify manufacturing and test processes, including performing process validation, selecting equipment and tooling, and documentation and training.
- Establish harness/cable routing on spacecraft and assist with integration planning.
- Write production procedures, work order templates, process specifications, and other build documents.
- Provide support to harness production and integration teams to ensure quality and reliability.
- Work directly with contract manufacturers, including on-site as needed, to develop their manufacturing and quality processes and respond to questions and issues.
- Evaluate non-conformances to determine root cause, create actionable items, and system improvements.
- Create, maintain and communicate detailed schedules and status updates.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, physics, or equivalent technical degree
- 2+ years of professional experience in wire harness manufacturing
- Hands-on experience building electrical harnesses with both solder- and crimp-style connectors for aerospace applications
- Experience reading and interpreting engineering drawings and creating work instructions and bills of material (BOMs) for manufacturing
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal
- Must be willing to travel up to 25% of the time to off-site contract manufacturers, including overnight travel and on short notice
- Experience with Zuken design software
- Experience with 3D CAD software (Solidworks, NX, or similar)
- Has worked with contract manufacturers to outsource harness builds
- Hands-on experience using electrical test equipment (multimeters, oscilloscopes, power supplies, etc)
All our positions offer a compensation package that includes equity, robust benefits, and bonuses.
What we offer:
Base pay is a single component of Astranis’s total rewards package, which may also include equity in the form of incentive stock options, performance bonuses, high quality company-subsidized healthcare, disability and life insurance benefits, flexible PTO, 401(K) retirement, and free on-site catered meals.
Astranis pay ranges are informed and defined through professional-grade salary surveys and compensation data sources. The actual base salary offered to a successful candidate will additionally be influenced by a variety of factors including experience, credentials & certifications, educational attainment, skill level requirements, and the level and scope of the position.