Stratolaunch is a technology accelerator that engineers operationally realistic testing at Mach 5+. Our air-launched, Talon testbeds are reusable, cost-effective platforms that enable routine access to the hypersonic environment. We deliver flight data critical to validating system performance and achieving rapid technology deployment. Together with our customers, we drive innovations that are imperative to advancing national security.
To help achieve these efforts, Stratolaunch is seeking a level I, II, or Sr-level Mechanical Engineer to own and support the modification & on-going development of the 747 Carrier Aircraft Airborne Support Equipment and Subsystems. This position will focus on added mission systems within the 747 to support a variety of different launch vehicle payloads and will require some familiarity with electrical systems.
As a 747 Carrier Aircraft Mechanical Engineer, you will contribute to a small team. Your work may include conceptual design trade studies, detailed design tasks, testing, and integration support.
- Execute aircraft mechanical design projects within the 747 Aircraft team focused on the carrier aircraft systems and airborne support equipment
- Design, develop, test & act as system owner or IPT lead of individual added mission systems such as Gas Pallets, Release System, & Pneumatic and Hydraulic Systems.
- Evaluate requirement needs or problem statements and propose solutions
- Evaluate both technical and programmatic risk for potential solutions
- Perform hand calculations to size design and support detailed design
- Develop design and engineering tools, as needed, to complete tasking
- Procure parts, advocate design through review process, document design
- Assist mechanics in integrating all components and assemblies onto the vehicle
- Test project as required, lead testing, evaluate data and hold closeout reviews
- Prepare project for flight and brief status at Flight Readiness Reviews and other similar events
- Travel, as needed, to support the company.
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity, and fulfillment of commitments.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- Knowledge of, and experience with, one or more of these disciplines: mechanical design, subsystems including pneumatic & hydraulic systems, aircraft and/or launch vehicle integration, component or assembly level mechanical testing.
- Significant experience with the rapid development of prototype or experimental flight vehicles
- Proficient with systems engineering practices, tools, and approaches
- Significant experience as a design engineering lead and/or analyst on more than one vehicle subsystem
- Significant experience leading or participating in ground and flight test campaigns
- Experience with technical risk identification, management, and mitigation
- Significant experience working with and maintaining internal and external customer relationships
- Experience working in small engineering teams where each member often has multiple responsibilities
- Experience and comfort working in engineering environments without significant processes and guard-rails in place
- Ability to acquire and maintain a security clearance
- Experience with air-launched vehicle development
- Experience with rocket propulsion systems
- Significant hands-on aircraft build experience
- Active TS/SCI security clearance
Required Computer Skills:
- General familiarity with CAD (Catia V5, Solidworks, NX, etc.)
- Proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint)
- General familiarity with reviewing and understanding wiring diagrams
- Familiarity with configuration management systems such as JIRA, Bitbucket, JAMA, etc.
Preferred Computer Skills:
- Scripting languages (Python, Matlab, or similar)
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Level I ($70,000-$97,500): Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 0-2 years of engineering experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- Level II ($85,000-$123,000): Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 2-5 years of engineering experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- Sr Level ($104,000-$155,000): Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 5-10 years of engineering experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
- This position is located in Mojave, CA, though position allows for partial remote/on-site work with 75% minimal on-site time
- Travel estimated to be <30% in support of the program
Benefits and our location:
- Relocation eligible to local area – Mojave, CA
- 9/80 schedule
- Healthcare (medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs)
- Paid Maternity and Parental Leave
- 50% company match per contributed dollar into 401(k) savings plan up to the IRS annual limit
- Tuition reimbursement
Mojave Air & Spaceport is located 95 miles north of Los Angeles. To outsiders it may seem like it is the middle-of-nowhere, but it offers both affordability and central access to a variety of California’s best attractions and landmarks. Hikers will find themselves within a 2-3 hours distance of some of the best state and national parks, including Yosemite and Sequoia in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Skiers will delight in being closely distanced to world-class resorts at Mammoth Mountain, Mountain High, and Big Bear. Beachgoers can find plenty of sand, sun, and sunsets at both Southern and Central California beaches like Ventura, Huntington, Santa Monica, and Pismo. The area also offers plenty of rural area for off-roading and horseback riding enthusiasts.
Not much for the outdoors and prefer the city life? You’re within a half day’s drive or less of Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and San Francisco where you can find a variety of live entertainment, museums, tours, and historical sight-seeing. Theme parks are in abundance, with Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland, and Knotts Berry Farm ready to meet the needs of rollercoaster thrill seekers.
Food and drink fanatics are in a haven of delectable choices. Wine aficionados will also find easy access to some of the state’s best vino in Paso Robles, Santa Ynez, and even more locally in Tehachapi and Agua Dulce. Beer fanatics will find some of the best West Coast IPAs at Bravery and Lucky Luke’s in Lancaster. Any food option you crave is covered, and we always recommend the authentic and fresh Mexican food that you won’t find anywhere else in the United States.