About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
Director, State and Local Government Operations
The Director of State and Local Government Operations will be charged with developing and implementing Rocket Lab’s state and local engagement plan for the six states Rocket Lab is based in. It will be the responsibility of this individual to identify policy and incentive opportunities within these states and localities that align with Rocket Lab’s business objectives. This role reports to the Vice President of Government Operations and will be required to work closely with the federal Government Operations team.
What you’ll get to do:
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to develop the company’s annual priorities, which includes balancing the needs of multiple stakeholders
- Identify and shape opportunities for the business, including tax incentives, grants, and favorable legislation
- Advocate for the company’s priorities before state legislatures, executive mansions, city councils, and other local officials
- Develop, maintain, and strengthen relationships with key officials at the state and municipal level
- Represent the company before various industry organizations, including local Chambers of Commerce
- Will be required to report on site from time to time
- This position requires substantial active participation in the development and implementation of Department goals, objectives, projects and initiatives
- Drafts, analyzes and/or presents legislation, amendments, testimony, and regulations as necessary and perform legislative and regulatory advocacy
- Supports interactions with local governments on permits and other local concerns
- Travel required 50% – 75% of the time
You’ll bring these qualifications:
- BA/BS and 7+ years’ experience working with state and local government, preferably with industry experience
- Familiarity with state and local legislative and political processes
- This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R.§ 120.15 is required
These qualifications would be nice to have:
- Previous government affairs experience a plus
- Business Acumen and Results Orientation: The candidate needs to be self-motivated with the ability to manage a set of deadlines and deliverables with limited supervision
- Highly effective and professional verbal and written communication skills
- Must be action-oriented with a willingness to roll up your sleeves with the belief the buck stops with you
- Thrives in environment when directions and outcomes are not always clear and priorities change frequently
- Strong knowledge of the U.S. space industry
- Experience creating, advocating for, and implementing legislation or incentives packages at the state or local level
- Ability to turn strategic thought into action
- Ability to prioritize and maximize the output of limited resources
The expected salary range for the position is displayed in accordance with the California Equal Pay for Equal Work Act. Final agreed upon compensation is based upon individual qualifications and experience.
In addition to base salary, Rocket Lab offers a comprehensive total compensation package based on individual qualifications and experience, which may include cash or equity incentives. Employees will also be eligible for medical, dental, vision coverage, 401(k) retirement plan options, and to purchase discounted stock through Rocket Lab’s Employee Stock Purchase Program.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Rocket Lab Employees must be a U.S. citizen, lawful U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Department of Commerce, as applicable. Learn more about ITAR here.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for the application/interview process for a job in the United States should contact Giulia Biow at email@example.com.This dedicated resource is intended solely to assist job seekers with disabilities whose disability prevents them from being able to apply/interview. Only messages left for this purpose will be considered. A response to your request may take up to two business days.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States’ International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.