Stratolaunch is a technology accelerator that engineers operationally realistic testing at Mach 5+. Our air-launched, Talon testbeds are reusable, cost-effective platforms that enable routine access to the hypersonic environment. We deliver flight data critical to validating system performance and achieving rapid technology deployment. Together with our customers, we drive innovations that are imperative to advancing national security.
As the Test Operations Engineer, you will accept a critical role in achieving new milestones in aviation and enable development of high-speed test vehicles to be air-launched from the Stratolaunch ‘Roc’ Carrier Aircraft. You will provide effective leadership as the focal point for high-speed vehicle test planning and execution, to include the potential to act as the liaison to the Test Director for flight test & readiness. You should have experience in test vehicle configuration control, test planning and resourcing, and conducting disciplined, effective developmental flight test, or similar experience in a technically demanding environment.
As a key member of the Stratolaunch team, you will have an essential role in meeting our ambitious company objectives. You must establish and maintain effective relationships with colleagues on a small, agile design-to-flight team. You will be challenged with bringing unique and complex aircraft from initial airworthiness to operational use, at a company that believes in giving our team members the authority and responsibility to succeed.
- Assist in the implementation of test strategy and objectives, test plans, test procedures, and mission cards for ground and flight testing for the high-speed test vehicles
- Coordinate closely with vehicle engineering team to define test and data requirements, and identify system safety or operational concerns
- Coordinate closely with multiple vehicle crew chiefs and ground support personnel to ensure operational priorities are understood and met
- Provide organization and preparation in support the Test Directors Test & Flight Readiness Reviews
- Identify test hazards and develop mitigation actions
- Manage and communicate test-specific vehicle limitations and test readiness review actions to ensure test readiness
- Support Talon-A vehicle maintenance & test execution team
- Coordinate on-vehicle priorities and schedules to meet final assembly and test requirements
- Work closely with the respective vehicle Crew Chief to ensure proper vehicle configuration and maintenance is complete
- Assist with functional system test planning and execution in areas such as avionics, flight control actuation, recovery systems, propulsion integration and propulsion system demonstration activities
- Work with Carrier Aircraft operations team to ensure successful vehicle mating and integrated systems testing is accomplished
- Support execution of integrated vehicle ground test activities and possibly serve as key member of mission control room team during flight test activities
- Assist in high-speed vehicle test data analysis and ensure test results are appropriately reviewed, documented, and controlled
- Provide inputs to refine and mature the high-speed vehicle Concept of Operations including ground and flight operational procedures, timelines, checklists, and emergency response actions, starting from payload receipt through recovery of vehicles and return of payload
- May participate in payload customer meetings, including meetings for payload integration/deintegration planning, integrated vehicle testing and data product delivery
- Facilitate payload hardware and software integration and integrated test on high-speed test vehicle
- Evaluate risks and risk mitigation plans to determine if the risks are appropriate and risk mitigations are adequate
- Travel, as needed, to support design, mission planning, and other tasks
- Demonstrate integrity, accountability, and initiative to fulfill commitments
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Technical aerospace leadership or experience, including supervision and training in a technical environment
- Ability to analyze and prioritize tasks on their own initiative, and drive projects to completion, to fit within overall business goals
- Ability to lead a small team, make decisions, communicate requirements, and quickly adapt to changing priorities
- Previous experience with new, experimental, or modified aircraft, launch vehicles or spacecraft, technical and safety review boards, and configuration control methods
- Experience with engineering and test data analysis tools such as IADS and MATLAB
- Knowledge of risk management or safety management systems
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Be able to work irregular hours and workdays, and travel periodically
- Ability to obtain a security clearance
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, or similar technical foundation
- Flight Test Engineer graduate of a recognized test pilot school long course
- Experience with launch vehicle or aircraft requirements verification
- Experience with launch vehicle, air-launch, or high-speed flight programs
- Experience with government flight test organizations, ranges, and procedures
- Experience operating in a classified work environment or with classified hardware
- Level II ($85,000-$123,000): Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 2-5 years of engineering experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- Sr. Level ($104,000-$155,000): Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 5-10 years of engineering experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- Staff Level ($126,500-$195,500): Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 10-20 years of engineering experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
- This position is located in Mojave, CA.
Benefits and our location:
- Relocation eligible to local area – Mojave, CA
- 9/80 schedule
- Healthcare (medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs)
- Paid Maternity and Parental Leave up to 16 weeks
- 50% company match per contributed dollar into 401(k) savings plan up to the IRS annual limit
- Tuition reimbursement for continued education
Mojave Air & Spaceport is located 95 miles north of Los Angeles. To outsiders it may seem like it is the middle-of-nowhere, but it offers both affordability and central access to a variety of California’s best attractions and landmarks. Hikers will find themselves within a 2-3 hours distance of some of the best state and national parks, including Yosemite and Sequoia in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Skiers will delight in being closely distanced to world-class resorts at Mammoth Mountain, Mountain High, and Big Bear. Beachgoers can find plenty of sand, sun, and sunsets at both Southern and Central California beaches like Ventura, Huntington, Santa Monica, and Pismo. The area also offers plenty of rural area for off-roading and horseback riding enthusiasts.
Not much for the outdoors and prefer the city life? You’re within a half day’s drive or less of Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and San Francisco where you can find a variety of live entertainment, museums, tours, and historical sight-seeing. Theme parks are in abundance, with Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland, and Knotts Berry Farm ready to meet the needs of rollercoaster thrill seekers.
Food and drink fanatics are in a haven of delectable choices. Wine aficionados will also find easy access to some of the state’s best vino in Paso Robles, Santa Ynez, and even more locally in Tehachapi and Agua Dulce. Beer fanatics will find some of the best West Coast IPAs at Bravery and Lucky Luke’s in Lancaster. Any food option you crave is covered, and we always recommend the authentic and fresh Mexican food that you won’t find anywhere else in the United States.