Stratolaunch is a technology accelerator that engineers operationally realistic testing at Mach 5+. Our air-launched, Talon testbeds are reusable, cost-effective platforms that enable routine access to the hypersonic environment. We deliver flight data critical to validating system performance and achieving rapid technology deployment. Together with our customers, we drive innovations that are imperative to advancing national security.
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced aerospace professional to join our organization as the Vice President, Mission Operations. As the Vice President, you will have a key leadership role managing the company’s customer mission campaigns, including the leadership of: Test Pilots, Flight Test Engineers, Operations Engineers, Licensing and Airworthiness Engineers, and Maintenance and Ground Operators. Your expertise in mission planning, execution, and operational excellence will be crucial to ensure the success of our customer missions.
- Provide strategic direction and leadership for all aspects of Mission Operations, ensuring alignment with organizational goals and objectives.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive operational strategy to ensure effective customer mission execution, encompassing: Test Pilots, Flight Test Engineers, the Mission Control Center, Operations Engineers, Licensing & Airworthiness, and Maintenance and Ground Operations.
- Manage a department responsible for the safe and efficient execution of flight tests, analyzing and reporting results to deliver critical data to our customers.
- Contribute to business development by participating in customer meetings, providing proposal inputs, and identifying individuals to support studies.
- Directly manage and mentor the functional leaders responsible for each area within the department.
- Own Mission Operations standards and best practices, including the Test and Flight Readiness Review process.
- Manage performance and compensation for the Mission Operations department.
- Manage the Mission Operations overhead budget, which includes: training, infrastructure, and equipment.
- Foster a culture of excellence, teamwork, and innovation within the Mission Operations team.
- Work with other department leads to contribute to cross-functional excellence for the programs.
- Collaborate with relevant stakeholders to conduct incident investigations, and implement corrective actions as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in aerospace engineering, aviation, or a related field. A Master’s degree is preferred. Formal flight test engineering and/or test pilot education is preferred.
- Extensive experience with aerospace flight operations, including working with Test Pilots, Flight Test Engineers, Mission Control Center Operations, and Ground Operations.
- Proven leadership experience, ideally in a flight operations management role, overseeing large teams and complex operations.
- Strong knowledge of flight operations, flight test engineering, flight test planning and execution, airworthiness and licensing approaches, and operations engineering.
- Demonstrated ability to grow and maintain a strong flight operations team.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively across multidisciplinary teams.
- Exceptional problem-solving abilities and a track record of making sound decisions in high-pressure situations.
- A demonstrated commitment to safety, quality, and operational excellence.
- Citizenship/ability to hold a US security clearance (Active TS/SCI clearance is preferred)
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of Science (BS) or higher in Engineering discipline from an accredited institution and 15-plus years of relevant experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
- This position is located in Mojave, CA
- Position is required onsite >= 75%
Benefits and our location:
- Relocation eligible to local area – Mojave, CA
- 9/80 schedule
- Healthcare (medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs)
- Paid Maternity and Parental Leave
- 50% company match per contributed dollar into 401(k) savings plan up to the IRS annual limit
- Tuition reimbursement
Mojave Air & Spaceport is located 95 miles north of Los Angeles. To outsiders it may seem like it is the middle-of-nowhere, but it offers both affordability and central access to a variety of California’s best attractions and landmarks. Hikers will find themselves within a 2-3 hours distance of some of the best state and national parks, including Yosemite and Sequoia in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Skiers will delight in being closely distanced to world-class resorts at Mammoth Mountain, Mountain High, and Big Bear. Beachgoers can find plenty of sand, sun, and sunsets at both Southern and Central California beaches like Ventura, Huntington, Santa Monica, and Pismo. The area also offers plenty of rural area for off-roading and horseback riding enthusiasts.
Not much for the outdoors and prefer the city life? You’re within a half day’s drive or less of Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and San Francisco where you can find a variety of live entertainment, museums, tours, and historical sight-seeing. Theme parks are in abundance, with Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland, and Knotts Berry Farm ready to meet the needs of rollercoaster thrill seekers.
Food and drink fanatics are in a haven of delectable choices. Wine aficionados will also find easy access to some of the state’s best vino in Paso Robles, Santa Ynez, and even more locally in Tehachapi and Agua Dulce. Beer fanatics will find some of the best West Coast IPAs at Bravery and Lucky Luke’s in Lancaster. Any food option you crave is covered, and we always recommend the authentic and fresh Mexican food that you won’t find anywhere else in the United States.