Stratolaunch is a technology accelerator that engineers operationally realistic testing at Mach 5+. Our air-launched, Talon testbeds are reusable, cost-effective platforms that enable routine access to the hypersonic environment. We deliver flight data critical to validating system performance and achieving rapid technology deployment. Together with our customers, we drive innovations that are imperative to advancing national security.
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced aerospace professional to join our organization as the Vice President, Engineering. As the Vice President, you will have a key leadership role in overseeing and managing various aspects of our aerospace operations, with a specific focus on Engineering, Launch Vehicle Integration, and Systems Engineering. Your expertise in prototype air vehicle design, manufacturing, and testing will be crucial to ensure the success of our missions. Moreover, you will be responsible for growing and maintaining a world-class engineering team.
- Provide strategic direction and leadership for all aspects of Engineering, ensuring alignment with organizational goals and objectives.
- Grow and maintain a highly skilled engineering team to meet program and company objectives, including: ownership of staffing plans, recruitment, and university outreach.
- Lead the company’s Digital Engineering and Systems Engineering implementation strategy and approach.
- Contribute to business development by participating in customer meetings, providing proposal inputs, and identifying engineers to support conceptual design studies.
- Manage the Engineering IR&D team to execute internal research to support the programs.
- Manage the Engineering overhead budget, which includes: training, engineering infrastructure and equipment, and IR&D projects.
- Directly manage and mentor the functional and program engineering leaders, admins, and managers.
- Manage performance and compensation for the Engineering department.
- Own Engineering standards and best practices, including the design review process.
- Foster a culture of excellence, teamwork, and innovation within the Engineering team.
- Work with other department leads to contribute to cross-functional excellence for the programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in aerospace engineering, or a related field. A Master’s degree is preferred.
- Extensive experience with the development of prototype aerospace vehicles, with an emphasis on speed and agility. Ideally, the candidate will have hypersonic vehicle development experience.
- Proven leadership experience overseeing large teams and complex organizations. Proven ability to build and maintain engineering teams that can execute challenging projects.
- Strong knowledge of design engineering, systems engineering, vehicle manufacturing, integration, and test.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively across multidisciplinary teams.
- Exceptional problem-solving and organizational abilities, and a track record of making sound decisions in high-pressure situations.
- A demonstrated commitment to safety, quality, and engineering excellence.
- Citizenship/ability to hold a US security clearance (Active TS/SCI clearance is preferred)
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of Science (BS) or higher in Engineering discipline from an accredited institution and 15-plus years of relevant experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
- This position is located in Mojave, CA
- Position is required onsite >= 75%
Benefits and our location:
- Relocation eligible to local area – Mojave, CA
- 9/80 schedule
- Healthcare (medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs)
- Paid Maternity and Parental Leave
- 50% company match per contributed dollar into 401(k) savings plan up to the IRS annual limit
- Tuition reimbursement
Mojave Air & Spaceport is located 95 miles north of Los Angeles. To outsiders it may seem like it is the middle-of-nowhere, but it offers both affordability and central access to a variety of California’s best attractions and landmarks. Hikers will find themselves within a 2-3 hours distance of some of the best state and national parks, including Yosemite and Sequoia in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Skiers will delight in being closely distanced to world-class resorts at Mammoth Mountain, Mountain High, and Big Bear. Beachgoers can find plenty of sand, sun, and sunsets at both Southern and Central California beaches like Ventura, Huntington, Santa Monica, and Pismo. The area also offers plenty of rural area for off-roading and horseback riding enthusiasts.
Not much for the outdoors and prefer the city life? You’re within a half day’s drive or less of Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and San Francisco where you can find a variety of live entertainment, museums, tours, and historical sight-seeing. Theme parks are in abundance, with Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland, and Knotts Berry Farm ready to meet the needs of rollercoaster thrill seekers.
Food and drink fanatics are in a haven of delectable choices. Wine aficionados will also find easy access to some of the state’s best vino in Paso Robles, Santa Ynez, and even more locally in Tehachapi and Agua Dulce. Beer fanatics will find some of the best West Coast IPAs at Bravery and Lucky Luke’s in Lancaster. Any food option you crave is covered, and we always recommend the authentic and fresh Mexican food that you won’t find anywhere else in the United States.