Stratolaunch is a technology accelerator that engineers operationally realistic testing at Mach 5+. Our air-launched, Talon testbeds are reusable, cost-effective platforms that enable routine access to the hypersonic environment. We deliver flight data critical to validating system performance and achieving rapid technology deployment. Together with our customers, we drive innovations that are imperative to advancing national security.
To help achieve these efforts, Stratolaunch is seeking a Sr-, Staff-, or Principal-Level Systems Engineer to serve as the primary technical point of contact for integration of experimental customer payloads with the Talon-A hypersonic vehicle. As the Payload Integration Engineer, you will lead a small cross-discipline team of subject matter experts (SMEs) from diverse fields to develop rapid solutions for integration of diverse sets of experimental payloads that meet and/or exceed customer requirements. With a focus on payload interfaces, you will support the interaction between Stratolaunch and customer hardware, software, and operational products. You will support new business proposals from initial requirements, validation, and verification through mission design, prototype development, and test.
- Collaborate with and lead a small team of SMEs through integration of payloads for rocket powered hypersonic programs
- Play a key role in advancing hypersonic technologies by enabling industry leaders to transition some of the most technically complex hypersonic capabilities from the lab environment into flight
- Influence and work with highly innovative leading industry experts, aerospace engineers and customers from backgrounds such as government, military, academic and commercial
- Have high level exposure within the company by supporting both engineering leadership and payload program management through providing integrated work products such as estimations of cost, creation and management of project schedules and providing regular report modifications to external customers
- Play a pivotal role in identifying opportunities to streamline the payload integration process to increase the rate of experimental hypersonic flights
- Support all phases of development from initial proposal development through successful payload integration and final test of hypersonic flight programs
- Lead technical customer reviews and ensure contract deliverables are on time and meet or exceed customer requirements
- Work with Payload Program Management to evaluate Air Launch program risks and opportunities and ensure mitigation plans are in place
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity, and fulfillment of commitments.
- Travel, as needed, to support the company.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- Knowledge of, and experience with, one or more of the following disciplines: large aerospace technical and/or integration management, project and/or systems engineering, structural design, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, aircraft systems and/or operations, rocket vehicle integration, ground systems, payload interfaces, and/or functional testing
- Experience working with government agencies, sub-contracts, and external customers
- Self-starting individual that prioritizes tasks to achieve enterprise goals
- Indirect or direct experience influencing and leading across multi-disciplinary engineering teams
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities and communicates to key stakeholders in a timely manner
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOD Secret or Top-Secret Clerance within a reasonable period, as determined by the company to meet its business needs
- Experience with computer-aided design (CAD) software tools – Solidworks or CATIA preferred
- Active TS/SCI security clearance
Required Computer Skills:
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint)
- MS Project
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Sr Level ($104,000-$155,000): Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 5-10 years of engineering experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- Staff Level ($126,500-$195,400): Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 10-20 years of engineering experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- Principal Level ($154,000-$246,300): Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 20-25 years of engineering experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
- Position based in Mojave, CA.
- Travel estimated to be approximately 20%
Benefits and our location:
- Relocation eligible to local area – Mojave, CA
- 9/80 schedule
- Healthcare (medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs)
- Paid Maternity and Parental Leave
- 50% company match per contributed dollar into 401(k) savings plan up to the IRS annual limit
- Tuition reimbursement
Mojave Air & Spaceport is located 95 miles north of Los Angeles. To outsiders it may seem like it is the middle-of-nowhere, but it offers both affordability and central access to a variety of California’s best attractions and landmarks. Hikers will find themselves within a 2-3 hours distance of some of the best state and national parks, including Yosemite and Sequoia in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Skiers will delight in being closely distanced to world-class resorts at Mammoth Mountain, Mountain High, and Big Bear. Beachgoers can find plenty of sand, sun, and sunsets at both Southern and Central California beaches like Ventura, Huntington, Santa Monica, and Pismo. The area also offers plenty of rural area for off-roading and horseback riding enthusiasts.
Not much for the outdoors and prefer the city life? You’re within a half day’s drive or less of Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and San Francisco where you can find a variety of live entertainment, museums, tours, and historical sight-seeing. Theme parks are in abundance, with Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland, and Knotts Berry Farm ready to meet the needs of rollercoaster thrill seekers.
Food and drink fanatics are in a haven of delectable choices. Wine aficionados will also find easy access to some of the state’s best vino in Paso Robles, Santa Ynez, and even more locally in Tehachapi and Agua Dulce. Beer fanatics will find some of the best West Coast IPAs at Bravery and Lucky Luke’s in Lancaster. Any food option you crave is covered, and we always recommend the authentic and fresh Mexican food that you won’t find anywhere else in the United States.