Stratolaunch is a technology accelerator that engineers operationally realistic testing at Mach 5+. Our air-launched, Talon testbeds are reusable, cost-effective platforms that enable routine access to the hypersonic environment. We deliver flight data critical to validating system performance and achieving rapid technology deployment. Together with our customers, we drive innovations that are imperative to advancing national security.
To achieve these efforts, Stratolaunch needs a Senior Propulsion Engineer to design various fluid system components and assemblies for the integration of rocket propulsion systems. Tasking will include the design of fluid plumbing systems, the integration of rocket feed system valves and tanks, and the test of propulsion components and subassemblies. An ideal candidate will have both mechanical and fluid subsystem component design experience. You must be comfortable with supporting your design through the entire design life cycle – from concept through integration and test. This position will include evaluation of a broad range of technical data. Candidates must have an aerospace development background and relevant experience in aerospace systems integration.
- Lead the development, build, and test of propulsion flight and ground hardware
- Perform structural, fluid, and thermal analysis of mechanical components and/or assemblies
- Create component and assembly drawings for all hardware
- Create and maintain work instructions to install flight hardware onto vehicles
- Assist mechanics in integrating all components and assemblies onto the aircraft and/or ground systems
- Test propulsion components and/or assemblies to prepare for integrated subsystem testing
- Develop engineering tools, as needed, to complete their tasking
- Regular and comprehensive communication to the Propulsion Lead
- Contribute to the integration of complex aerospace systems
- Travel, as needed, to support the department
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments
- Knowledge of, and experience with, one or more of these disciplines: fluid subsystem design, mechanical design, structural engineering, component or assembly level mechanical or fluid testing, rocket testing, cryogenic fluid systems, electrical and/or instrumentation experience
- Experience with aircraft prototype development, including releasing engineering definition and developing work instructions
- Experience with fluid-mechanical component design and stress analysis
- Experience with component-level or subsystem level test planning and execution
- Experience with aircraft and prototype integration and testing
- Ability to communicate technical challenges and guidance to varied audiences to explain rationale and/or resolve concerns
- Ability to work on their own initiative and prioritize tasking to fit within the business goals
- Complex aerospace system development
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 5-plus years of engineering experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
- This position is located in Mojave, CA
- Frequent travel required to Washington D.C., Mojave Spaceport, and other domestic locations
Benefits and our location:
- Relocation eligible to local area – Mojave, CA
- 9/80 schedule
- Healthcare (medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs)
- Paid Maternity and Parental Leave up to 16 weeks
- 50% company match per contributed dollar into 401(k) savings plan up to the IRS annual limit
- Tuition reimbursement for continued education
Mojave Air & Spaceport is located 95 miles north of Los Angeles. To outsiders it may seem like it is the middle-of-nowhere, but it offers both affordability and central access to a variety of California’s best attractions and landmarks. Hikers will find themselves within a 2-3 hours distance of some of the best state and national parks, including Yosemite and Sequoia in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Skiers will delight in being closely distanced to world-class resorts at Mammoth Mountain, Mountain High, and Big Bear. Beachgoers can find plenty of sand, sun, and sunsets at both Southern and Central California beaches like Ventura, Huntington, Santa Monica, and Pismo. The area also offers plenty of rural area for off-roading and horseback riding enthusiasts.
Not much for the outdoors and prefer the city life? You’re within a half day’s drive or less of Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and San Francisco where you can find a variety of live entertainment, museums, tours, and historical sight-seeing. Theme parks are in abundance, with Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland, and Knotts Berry Farm ready to meet the needs of rollercoaster thrill seekers.
Food and drink fanatics are in a haven of delectable choices. Wine aficionados will also find easy access to some of the state’s best vino in Paso Robles, Santa Ynez, and even more locally in Tehachapi and Agua Dulce. Beer fanatics will find some of the best West Coast IPAs at Bravery and Lucky Luke’s in Lancaster. Any food option you crave is covered, and we always recommend the authentic and fresh Mexican food that you won’t find anywhere else in the United States.