Stratolaunch is a technology accelerator that engineers operationally realistic testing at Mach 5+. Our air-launched, Talon testbeds are reusable, cost-effective platforms that enable routine access to the hypersonic environment. We deliver flight data critical to validating system performance and achieving rapid technology deployment. Together with our customers, we drive innovations that are imperative to advancing national security.
As an Operations Engineer, you will accept a critical role in achieving new milestones in aviation and enabling the development of high-speed test vehicles to be air-launched from Stratolaunch carrier aircraft. Your role will focus on FAA-AST licensing and DoD Range integration activities.
You will work on a small team whose mission is to develop and maintain relationships with Stratolaunch’s regulatory and operating government agencies. We will coordinate civil and DoD compliances, approvals, and notification needs. Depending on your experience, you will support launches in real-time from the Mojave control room as the interface between government and Stratolaunch operational teams.
You will support the launch license preparation, submittal, and approval through the FAA-AST. You will work with the cross-functional team to ensure accurate and consistent technical information on the flight systems is communicated to regulatory and operating stakeholders and potential customers.
As a key member of the team, you will have an essential role in meeting our ambitious company objectives. You must establish and maintain effective relationships with colleagues on a small, agile design-to-flight team. You will be challenged with bringing unique and complex aircraft to operational use at a company that believes in giving our team members the authority and responsibility to succeed.
- Flight operations, launch license, range, or flight testing documentation management
- Work with operations and engineering staff to deliver appropriate material to regulatory agencies.
- Support the submittal and approval of the Stratolaunch launch licenses, including working with the Stratolaunch team and sub-contractors.
- Support range oversight and approval processes and scheduling coordination
- Act as a Range and FAA liaison for Stratolaunch
- Work with the Strategic Development team to ensure accurate and consistent representation of technical information for the company
- Track FAA and Range expenses and forecast budget and expense plans
- Keep the team current regarding upcoming activities and deadlines
- Evaluate program risks and develop risk mitigation plans
- Provide regular and comprehensive communication with multiple departments within Stratolaunch
- Travel, as needed, to support liaison efforts or department needs
- Other duties, as assigned, based on the current workload and team needs
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity, and fulfillment of commitments
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication
To perform this job, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Independent work. Comfortable in a fast-paced and self-defined job role. Ability to self-prioritize tasking to fit within the business goals
- Technical coordination. Able to coordinate cross-functional teams, identify critical issues, and communicate status to regulators and Stratolaunch staff.
- Documentation mangement. Experience drafting, collating, or developing documentation and other technical deliverables to meet oversight requirements.
- Flight or launch operational support experience. Comfortable working with engineering, flight crew, maintenance, and other technical stakeholders in support of flight or launch operations.
- Ability to represent Stratolaunch in a professional manner
- Knowledge of and experience with one or more of these disciplines: Federal range operations, systems engineering, project management, launch vehicle integration, flight operations, space launch operations.
- Experience with Civil or Governmental regulatory and certification agencies for aircraft or spacecraft.
- Experience working with Eastern or Western Ranges and compliance with RCC 501 and AFSPCMAN 91-710
- FAA-AST Part 431 or 450 launch vehicle licensing or regulatory experience
- Experience with aviation risk management
- Experience with air-launch programs
- Security clearance
Required Computer Skills
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- MS Project
- Requirements management tools
- Configuration management systems
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from an accredited institution
- 5 to 10 years of relevant experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
- Travel estimated to be approximately 25+%
- Position may be remote, based in Mojave, CA, or near Vandenberg Space Force Base CA
Benefits and our location:
- Relocation eligible to local area – Mojave, CA
- 9/80 schedule
- Healthcare (medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs)
- Paid Maternity and Parental Leave
- 50% company match per contributed dollar into 401(k) savings plan up to the IRS annual limit
- Tuition reimbursement
Mojave Air & Spaceport is located 95 miles north of Los Angeles. To outsiders it may seem like it is the middle-of-nowhere, but it offers both affordability and central access to a variety of California’s best attractions and landmarks. Hikers will find themselves within a 2-3 hours distance of some of the best state and national parks, including Yosemite and Sequoia in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Skiers will delight in being closely distanced to world-class resorts at Mammoth Mountain, Mountain High, and Big Bear. Beachgoers can find plenty of sand, sun, and sunsets at both Southern and Central California beaches like Ventura, Huntington, Santa Monica, and Pismo. The area also offers plenty of rural area for off-roading and horseback riding enthusiasts.
Not much for the outdoors and prefer the city life? You’re within a half day’s drive or less of Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and San Francisco where you can find a variety of live entertainment, museums, tours, and historical sight-seeing. Theme parks are in abundance, with Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland, and Knotts Berry Farm ready to meet the needs of rollercoaster thrill seekers.
Food and drink fanatics are in a haven of delectable choices. Wine aficionados will also find easy access to some of the state’s best vino in Paso Robles, Santa Ynez, and even more locally in Tehachapi and Agua Dulce. Beer fanatics will find some of the best West Coast IPAs at Bravery and Lucky Luke’s in Lancaster. Any food option you crave is covered, and we always recommend the authentic and fresh Mexican food that you won’t find anywhere else in the United States.