About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
This is a rare opportunity to play a key role in Rocket Lab’s evolution into an end-to-end space company that delivers launch, spacecraft, and on-orbit operations. The Space Systems Division is shaping Rocket Lab’s future with Photon, our brand of high-performance satellites, enabling innovative missions in low Earth orbit and beyond including missions for NASA to LEO, the Moon, and Mars and commercial customers, including leading the design and manufacture of 17 high-power telecommunication spacecraft buses for Globalstar.
Rocket Lab is also growing our spacecraft components business, anchored on the acquisition of Sinclair Interplanetary manufacturing reaction wheels and star trackers in Toronto, SolAero Technologies manufacturing solar power and primary structure solutions in Albuquerque, Planetary Systems Corporation manufacturing launch separation systems in Silver Spring, and Advanced Solutions, Inc., provider of flight and ground software as a service in Denver. Our components business is key to vertically integrating our spacecraft solutions and enabling constellations for customers.
MANAGER, MANUFACTURING ENGINEER – AVIONICS/SPACE SYSTEMS
As the Manufacturing Engineer Avionics, Manager for Rocket Lab’s Avionics programs, you’ll play a pivotal role in technology development and platform development for high performance missions for Space Systems, Electron, and Neutron products/customers. You will need to maintain and expand a high performing team to strongly collaborate with the development team and take complete ownership of the product development, manufacturing and testing programs.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO:
- Oversee introduction and implementation of new products and product revisions as related to Space Systems products and Electron/Neutron Avionics.
- Coach, mentor and develop engineers to achieve new heights in their careers.
- Design, develop, and implement tooling and equipment for use in a production environment where appropriate to improve quality, delivery and/or cost performance.
- Liaise between production, quality, supply chain and design engineering staff for complex problem solving and process changes.
- Provide Engineering support for day-to-day production processes.
- Contribute to design reviews acting as an expert in design for manufacture, design for test, productivity, supplier capability assessments, quality control, etc.
- Create team goals and metrics to drive continuous improvement projects.
- Provide Engineering support for day-to-day production processes.
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in aerospace, Electrical Engineering or other engineering discipline
- 8+ years of experience in a satellite/avionics design, development, manufacturing and test environment.
- 1+ of those years of experience in a leadership role or demonstrated ability to lead a team.
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- Have a successful track record coaching, mentoring, and developing engineers with different levels of experience.
- Have expert capability to execute projects for product, process and equipment manufacturing improvements including the design, build, commissioning and production hand-off.
- Develop, implement, and continuously improve avionics processes through strong working knowledge of EEE piece parts, PCB, PCBA, electromechanical assembly, tooling, test, and quality techniques.
- Have expert knowledge in manufacturing processes for space systems, avionics and aerospace materials including but not limited to soldering, cleaning, solar panel production, vibration testing, thermal testing, RF testing, radiation testing.
- Have performed root cause and corrective action projects and PFMEA / DFMEA of complex manufacturing processes and products.
The expected salary range for the position is displayed in accordance with the California Equal Pay for Equal Work Act. Final agreed upon compensation is based upon individual qualifications and experience.
In addition to base salary, Rocket Lab offers a comprehensive total compensation package based on individual qualifications and experience, which may include cash or equity incentives. Employees will also be eligible for medical, dental, vision coverage, 401(k) retirement plan options, and to purchase discounted stock through Rocket Lab’s Employee Stock Purchase Program.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Rocket Lab Employees must be a U.S. citizen, lawful U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Department of Commerce, as applicable. Learn more about ITAR here.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for the application/interview process for a job in the United States should contact Giulia Biow at email@example.com.This dedicated resource is intended solely to assist job seekers with disabilities whose disability prevents them from being able to apply/interview. Only messages left for this purpose will be considered. A response to your request may take up to two business days.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States’ International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.